<VV> maintanence of the Corvair

richard white sarge9444 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 6 13:56:25 EST 2008

All the talk being generated about maintaining your
Corvair reminds me of an engine I rebuilt for a guy
one time. He was complaining about how his Corvair had
been giving him trouble for months and finally quite
on him on the 5 interstate just out side of LA. He was
retired and didn't have a lot of money so I really did
the rebuild for cost of parts. Any way when I
disassembled the engine there was something wrong in
every cylinder. I mean broken rings dropped valve seat
hole in piston etc. I was amazed it even ran at all.
This stuff didn't happen over night it just kept
accumulating until it couldn't run any more. I have
often wished I had taken pictures of this engine and
some of the others that were abused. Its a testament
to the design that these engines could take this abuse
and continue to run.
  sarge