<VV> Air heater

Craig Nicol nicolcs at aol.com
Thu Mar 6 13:20:40 EST 2008

"I think there's a huge difference in a design meant for a car that was
thought to have a life span of 5 to 7 years tops, and one that is used by
the same car, used by hobbiests, 40+ years beyond its original concept life
span.

When these cars were new, a hot air heater designed as ours were, vulnerable
to age induced exhaust gas leakage was acceptable.  After all, long  before
there were serious gas leakage problems, the car would have been melted down
and been recycled.    And if leaks did happen, well there was the dealer
network and warranties and all that support stuff available to the owner.

Our cars of course are way beyond dealer support.  When we look at this 60s
era heat  design, we see that it is clearly trouble prone and even dangerous
if not closely watched and maintained.

Therefore, I think it's safe to say that in the context of it's design, the
heat system was acceptable.  Far far better than that on the Volkswagen of
the day.  Nearly 50 years later tho, in the context of our hobby, we wish
for the safety and reliability of those in the water-pumpers.

GM did a pretty decent job with this car."

Mike in Michigan

Craig replies:
Well, actually they were the subject of a recall:
Here's the text of the recall:

Make : CHEVROLET  Model : CORVAIR Year : 1967 (CN note: recall covers 61-9
models)
Manufacturer : GENERAL MOTORS CORP. Mfr's Report Date : NOV 22, 1971
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 71V224000  N/A
NHTSA Action Number: N/A
Component: VISIBILITY:DEFROSTER/DEFOGGER SYSTEM
Potential Number Of Units Affected : 679900
Consequence:

Remedy:

Notes:
 GENERAL MOTOR CAMPAIGN NO 69-C-13. POSSIBILITY THAT FUMES IN DIRECT
AIRHEATING SYSTEM MAY BE TRANSFERRED FROM ENGINE COMPARTMENT INTO PASSENGER
COMPARTMENT. SUCH FUMES, IN SOME CASES, CONTAIN CARBON MOXOXIDE IN
SUFFICIENT CONCENTRATION TO HARM OR ENDANGER OCCUPANTS OF VEHICLE. (CORRECT
BYINSPECTING AND REPAIRING WHERE NECESSARY.)

Craig Nicol
(Four Corvairs with direct air heaters - oh yea!)

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
9:07 AM