<VV> Gas tank sealing

chris c ricorvair at cox.net
Thu Mar 6 14:54:11 EST 2008

As the weather turns.  I am ready to clean out the 65's gas tank.  Its
solid with no leaks.
The filler neck hose was shot.  I was ready to buy my supplies, but
silly me, reading the instructions before purchase.

*SHOULD I ALWAYS USE A FUEL TANK SEALER AFTER THOROUGHLY CLEANING OUT MY
TANK?
*No. Fuel tank sealer should be used as a last resort, and is not always
necessary. Fuel tanks that are rust-free and have no pinholes or leaks
may not need sealing at all. They should, however, always be kept full
of gasoline, which prevents condensation and further rusting. If
vehicles are not used frequently, fuel tanks should be treated with
POR-15 FUEL PRESERVATIVE/STABILIZER, which will keep fuel fresh for more
than two years and insure quick starts even after months of non-use.

Does this mean its a waste of money to purchase the sealer?  It is out,
and the tank is from 65.  I have been running the car for 12 years now.
Cleaned it out in the car several times with it in the car.  Flush with
water, wipe out with socks on a hanger, repeat.
I fill the tank at the end of the season.  Put it away, and run it a
couple times over the winter...even took the 63 out this week.