<VV> Why no air cooled engines, was: Not expected to last

Bill Elliott corvair at fnader.com
Fri Mar 7 10:49:15 EST 2008

Actually noise WAS an issue... not for the Porsche buyer but for the
increasingly restrictive German noise limits. The Porsche 959 (the first
AWD Porsche supercar) only met these by blatant deception... they
relabeled the gearshift. The car had a six speed manual... 1-6. They
relabeled it as a 5 speed with 1st now being called "G" for "offroad
use" (remember it was awd)... so all of the noise tests took place at
one gear higher and the 959 slipped through...

However, I concur that emissions (and the power limitation imposed by
the 2 valve heads... a limitation due to cooling) that were the primary
obstacles.

Bill