<VV> oil

Richard Widman richard at widman.biz
Mon Mar 10 13:19:47 EDT 2008

As Bob says, an SL oil will get you a lot of protection, and more than the
oils of the 60's, but if you want real added additives, look for the CI-4
that does not include CJ-4.  That will give you 40% or more ZDDP than a
simple SL oil, while balancing the package out with more than double the
detergent to keep it clean.

The problem that is not understood is that adding STP or other additives
does not leave you with a balanced additive package.  You will end up with
more engine deposits and a hotter running engine.

When I get back to my Santa Cruz office I'm going to dig out all my SAE
technical reports and put out an article on this with the graphs and studies
that are documented.  If you really look at the data, you will see the
variations from different formulas.  What most of us want is reduced wear
with a clean engine.  The API has tested formulations that reduce wear, and
formulas that run cleaner than others.  But in the end they look for what
the engine makers call a balance.  In the round of testing for the CI-4, one
additive package tested was just as good as the others in tappet protection,
but allowed 3 times the bearing wear in Group II base oils, although not as
effective in tappet wear control in group I base oils.

Bottom line is that not even the best Chef in the world will add ingredients
to a pot of food without trying to figure out what is in it first and what
exact ingredients he would be adding.

Richard Widman

 <http://www.widman.biz> www.widman.biz