<VV> Towing a 4 speed

D. Barry Ellison bars84crx at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 12 14:14:41 EDT 2008

I complete agree w/you, but I was looking for someone to post that actually DID have problems.  So far, I've seen none.

Hum, if you tow rear end up, doesn't all the gear oil flow into the tranny, leaving nothing in the diff?  By the time you get it down and actually drive it, hasn't it balanced?  So, one could almost assume that the same is true for front up, oil in diff, tranny "empty", and when it's down, it balances out fast enough?Barry(Glad I went to flat towing, but tow dollied rear end up for 8+ years, never a diff or tranny prob)> Subject: Re: <VV> Towing a 4 speed> > Barry> I sure wouldn't do that. As there is a hole between the 4spd and the diff that lets the gear oil flow between the two assemblies, cocking the front tires the front COULD allow all the gear oil to flow into the diff, leaving no gear oil in the transmission at all. > > Now that may NOT be a problem when towing, but what about after? > > If you have a 4spd, I would tell ANYONE either flat tow it or put it on an auto transport trailer--NO DOLLY's.> > my.02> hank