<VV> exhaust pipes

tim mahler flat6vair at insightbb.com
Sat Mar 15 10:20:36 EDT 2008

Both my early and late Fitch Sprints trombone exhausts exist straight out
the rear.  Granted, I do not drive these often when the heater is needed,
but I have not noticed any ill effects or smells when using the
heater/defrosters including last week driving one to the club meeting in 30
degree weather.

This issue was raised 14 months ago -- The air intake in a late model is
near the back glass,   that's a long way away from either the side or rear
exiting exahust.   Earlies is the full deck lid.  In both cases,  while
moving,  the air flow is front to rear at the point of normal intake to the
engine compartment.   It was noted that if the engine seal was bad at the
rear of the car,  there may be some intake at that point.

the rear cove does see lots of turbulence  but not back over the deck lid to
the air intake regions.

Note:  GM exited the turbo engined cars out the back, both early and late.
Plus the hot air form cooling is also exited straight out the back, another
thing we don't want on the intake side of things. (vapor lock, poorer
cooling )

The exhaust fumes ernie is experiencing is most likely an exhaust leak
inside the lower shrouds. -- no donuts (6)  for the manifolds?

tim mahler