<VV> exhaust pipes/exhaust leaks

HallGrenn at aol.com HallGrenn at aol.com
Sat Mar 15 14:45:27 EDT 2008

In a message dated 3/15/2008 10:21:05 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
flat6vair at insightbb.com writes:

Note:  GM exited the turbo engined cars out the back, both early  and late.
Plus the hot air form cooling is also exited straight out the  back, another
thing we don't want on the intake side of things. (vapor  lock, poorer
cooling )

The exhaust fumes ernie is experiencing is  most likely an exhaust leak
inside the lower shrouds. -- no donuts  (6)  for the manifolds?

tim mahler

I'd agree with Tim that the exhaust leak is probably inside the
shrouding--or because of gaps in the shrouding--especially the middle piece that  covers
the harmonic balancer and rear engine mount.  If you can smell it  then it is
because of the oil vapors and combustion gas as the poisonous CO  is  odorless
by itself. But, even with the longer trombones I once ran on  my Corsa (and I
did like them) there was exhaust that was pulled back into the  heater,
turning my paper CO detectors a different hue and those were securely  mounted to
the engine and not the body so my packing stayed tight.  All  Corsas and Spyders
that I saw when they were new had the  exhaust turned to the side about 45
degrees to put it into the side stream  when the car was in motion.  And I
believe the assembly manuals  specified this as well (haven't looked at mine yet,
but I will to  verify).  If Ernie has his Flowmasters securely mounted to the
engine (not  body), all shrouding sealed and no heater hose leaks he should be
able to enjoy  them--but keep the vent window open.

Bob Hall
Group Corvair
Washington DC Suburbs
'64 Brier