<VV> Erratic gas gauge

lechevrier at earthlink.net lechevrier at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 17 16:39:07 EDT 2008

>This is the same sending unit I have used for years, so thats not the problem.

Wondering what you've got that makes a forty three year old part immune from failure?  You've maybe developed a vaccine that you just mix with your fuel?  I could probably use some of that, along with everybody else on the list, and you could get rich, if money is your goal in life, or you could just share it with us   :)

Check the rest of the wiring and the gauge by disconnecting the sender lead at the sender, and with the ign on, check the gauge readings with the sender circuit open, and then grounded with a test light -- if it goes full range between these two extremes, everything is working except the sender.  Senders are mechanical devices that can wear out, floats can leak or become saturated, vibration can loosen connections, wires can break, some prankster could put rocks, salt, sugar, marbles, whatever in your tank and you could have mechanical damage to the sender or blockage of the sender arm, maybe you have a ooated tank suffering from lining failure -- lots of possibilities even if the gauge passes the above testing, or maybe you just have a bad dash ground.

Godspeed!

BillStrickaland