<VV> NOS Clock

Rick Loving ral1963 at comcast.net
Mon Mar 17 17:32:49 EDT 2008

There has been a few emails back and forth about paint or not.

When the first dash top clocks were available they were left grey.  They
were grey from being left a bare metal and not primered.  This would be
standard practice from 61-63.

Sometime during late 1963 (primarily for the 64 model year), the GM clock
kit was modified to include a small paper disc used to mask the face of the
clock so it could be painted to match the interior paint color.  At this
time the clock also began getting a coat of grey paint as a primer coat.
Instructions were provided for the parts installer on the procedures.

Being that for the previous several years the clocks were installed as out
of the box, it was the quality of the dealer installer on whether or not the
clock actually got painted.

There are many examples of both painted and non-painted grey dashtop clocks
out there on very original cars.

Since it was a dealer installed item, there is no record of it on the trim
tag and most likely not on any window sticker.

If you are fortunate to have the original purchase paperwork you may be able
to show it was ordered and installed at the dealer.

The bottom line is that for 1964, it is more correct to have the dashtop
clock painted, as that is what GM intended.

Rick Loving