<VV> AM/FM Radio volume comes and goes

Craig Nicol nicolcs at aol.com
Wed Mar 19 10:30:08 EDT 2008

Stephen asked:
"I have a problem with the factory AM/FM radio that I need to solve before
our H.O.T. meet in Glen Rose on the 18-20 of April.  We can use the FM to
broadcast the drive-in movie that we are going to see as part of the
activities during the weekend.  The radio keeps going on and off.  The
problem seems to originate in the on/off-volume knob.  If I turn it on, the
light on the dial comes on, but there may or may not be volume.  If left on,
sometimes it will come on for a few seconds and then the volume goes off
again.  If you turn the
volume up, it sometimes blasts for a second or two and then silence.
The knob is a little loose (comes out about 1/8 inch).  Sometimes, wiggling
it gets the volume to come on for a second or two.  I checked the ground
strap and it is secure.  Might this be an internal issue (bad, loose
transistor), or will tightening the knob (and how is it done) remedy the
situation? Thanks, Stephen Upham"

Craig replies:
It sounds like the sliding contact in your radio's volume control is dirty
or worn-out.  You can try "cleaning" the contact by rotating the volume
control back and forth about a zillion times - the sliding contact can
sometimes "plow" a new path through the dirt; though this is usually more
effective when the volume control is noisy or scratchy. Your most certain
fix would be to take the radio to a repair shop and have the control
replaced - if they confirm that it's the problem.  I'd just send it to Fred
Bybee and have it done by an expert for the same or less expense.
Craig Nicol

Checked by AVG.
8:10 AM