<VV> Alignment Question

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 19 12:49:10 EDT 2008

Waste of bandwidth here, just to ditto Frank's comments, but ...

>Do not ever go back to these people.

Except to demand a full refund (or maybe you just want to chalk it up to
the price of an education).

> They know NOT what they are talking about. Outright lies ...

Reason for refund

>I do not know of any car manufacturer that would say that, even those using a
>solid rear as the solid rear needs to be aligned to the chassis ... This is called thrust angle in the alingnment world.

This "thrust angle" is what the steering wheel and toe-in should be
centered to -- they've been doing 4-wheel thrust angle alignments for
thirty years now, and it is standard (and a way to increase the billing,
deservedly), even on solid axle and other 4-wheel cars without an
alignable rear end (and technically, even solid axles are "alignable").

>All Corvairs have alignment ability in the rear. And the late models
>like your Corsa are the easiest to see and understand. Both camber and
>toe are adjustable on the rear of a late.

More reason for a refund. No rear caster, because the rear wheels don't
steer.

>Go to a real alignment shop, or at least a tire store with a real
>alignment technician.

Yup, it's a good tech that you are looking for and they are not
generally found in nationwide chain stores.

>Get a four wheel alignment.

Yup,

>There are books available from our vendors on how to align the Corvair.
>Phamplets actually. And the shop manual should get any technician
>through the steps. Most of the computer alignment machines have the
>Corvair data in them.

and more yup.

>Not that my local Firestone in Richmond could understand the pictures on the screen, but I digress.

well, my local Firestone dealer ain't in Richmond, but I doubt if the
local shop here ever hires anybody that knows what is going on, 'cause
they'd be smart enuf not to work there.

Thanks for saying it for me (and others, too, I'm sure), Frank.

Bill Strickland