<VV> LM Engine Lid Lock

Bill H. gojoe283 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 20 16:39:36 EDT 2008

                                       B"h

The Corvair Tech Guide describes an engine lid lock
that you can make yourself with a spring-loaded
license plate bracket, 4" hasp and padlock.

I followed the technique but couldn't find a decent
spring loaded license plate bracket, so I made
something up with a couple of used door hinges from
the house that I saved when I changed the bedroom
doors upstairs in my house.

Standard door hinges work well and the holes are
placed in a perfect location for the license plate.  I
drilled one hole to screw the hinges to the car's back
panel and used sheet metal screws to fasten them.

You use two hinges, one for each side.  The license
plate bolts on to the outermost hole of each hinge.  I
use a small spring clipped to the top hole of the
license plate, connected to the striker on the car
body, which keeps the license plate in the closed
position.

The lock and hasp are completely hidden from behind
the license plate.  I wrapped the padlock body with a
layer of duct tape to avoid scrating the body, as well
as prevent any noise from the padlock moving when the
car is in motion...Bill Hershkowitz 69 Monza Coupe 110
PG