<VV> front wheel bearings

Doug Mackintosh dougmackintosh at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 24 20:08:31 EDT 2008

I don't know, but 2 possibilities occur to me.

  1) If they were the same size, it would be much more difficult to install the brake drum with the bearings in place. It would be hard to get the inner bearing to pass over the outer spindle diameter on the way to the inner spindle.

  2) I would expect the lateral load on the inner bearings to be bigger since the inner bearing will be side loaded by the outer wheel on a turn, while the inner bearing would be side loaded by the inner wheel (which does not have as much grip due to it being unloaded in the vertical direction, sometimes even lifting off the street in a turn)

  <<Why are the inner and outer roller wheel bearings different sizes?

harry yarnell>>

-- Doug Mackintosh
  Corsa member since 1996
  Corsa/NC member since 1996,  Virtual Vairs member
  Corvair owner 1969-1971 and 1996-on