<VV> follow up to no compression in cylinder #3

Roger Gault r.gault at sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 24 20:40:48 EDT 2008

I, on the other hand, have never had a Corvair engine with OEM pistons that
DIDN'T break at least one piston at the oil ring groove (3 of 3).  I have
replaced all mine over the years with TRW forged.  These days, there are a
number of good pistons available from our vendors - both cast and forged.
Considering the PITA and the $$ involved in breaking another one, I'd
seriously consider changing them all out.  Usually they beat the head
senseless, costing even more money.  The only time I tried replacing one
with a stock piston, I broke another within a year.

YMMV,
  Roger

PS:  I've always run premium fuel - to minimize, but not eliminate, knock.
Suckers broke anyway.