<VV> follow up to no compression in cylinder #3

ScottyGrover at aol.com ScottyGrover at aol.com
Mon Mar 24 21:09:00 EDT 2008

In a message dated 3/24/2008 5:39:46 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
r.gault at sbcglobal.net writes:

I, on  the other hand, have never had a Corvair engine with OEM pistons  that
DIDN'T break at least one piston at the oil ring groove (3 of  3).  I have
replaced all mine over the years with TRW forged.   These days, there are a
number of good pistons available from our vendors -  both cast and forged.
Considering the PITA and the $$ involved in breaking  another one, I'd
seriously consider changing them all out.  Usually  they beat the head
senseless, costing even more money.  The only time  I tried replacing one
with a stock piston, I broke another within a  year.

YMMV,
Roger

How true; I had an overhaul coming in Denver; the Corvair shop said they
couldn't get new pistons so put in OEM used pistons.  My wife and kids  started
to drive from Denver to L.A., didn't make it; piston broke--she couldn't  shut
it off before the engine froze.
When I had an L.A. shop overhaul it, we found that the largest piece of the
piston was about the size of the first joint of my thumb; the rod was bent,
and  of course there was metal all over the insides of he engine.
Another overhaul (sigh), and no guarantee. this time, the non-Corvair shop
in L.A. had no trouble finding pistons; the engine lasted over 25 years until
the rust got to it (sob, sob.)
Thje moral of this story is----never use OEM pistons; go to Clarks's or Lon
Wall or Marco at Larry's Corvair parts or whoever your nearest Corvair
supplier  is; get the GOOD stuff.

Scotty from Hollyweird

Home.