<VV> collapsed lifter

kenpepke at juno.com kenpepke at juno.com
Tue Mar 25 08:13:44 EDT 2008

>I happened to push down on the rocker
>arm, and found I could easily compress the lifter.  It still has _spring
>tension on it, but that is  all.  Is this a collapsed lifter?  From reading
>the VV archives,  I see that some say these lifters rarely collapse, so I
>wanted to get some  advice before I replace the lifter(s).

This was a frequent failure in the early days ... caused by the little spring
(that holds the check ball inside the lifter) breaking.  remove the lifter and
disassemble by removing the retaining ring at the top.  It is a good idea to
not use a different lifter against the cam so get a spring from another lifter
and reassemble.  Place the reassembled lifter in a small can of motor oil
and pump the piston up and down with a push rod to refill the lifter then put
it back into the engine and adjust in the normal manner.

Ken Pepke