<VV> Weird Electrical problems - Solved

Bob Gilbert bgilbert at redshift.bc.ca
Wed Mar 26 10:51:12 EDT 2008

Hopefully, this might help somebody else...

Weird electrical problems - first the alternator light wouldn’t work, then
the temp gauge would quit momentarily and then the tach started acting up.
At different times I’d get different failure variations

To make it worse, every time I went near it to do some diagnostics, the
symptoms changed!

After several days I finally tracked it down to the main connector from the
dash gauge cluster to the wiring harness. It normally resides in the dash
area behind the tach. In my case, the connector was not tightly pushed
together and the normal movement of the car aggravated by my meddling under
the dash caused it to flex and connect /disconnect  different circuits.

An easy fix with the gauge panel removed but a real pain to diagnose and one
of those times when I said – “now why didn’t I think of that  first?”. It
also demonstrated that dash problems are not always the infamous bad ground.

Regards,

Bob

66 180

Checked by AVG.