<VV> more on camshaft

Ken Campbell deltainc at grm.net
Thu Mar 27 21:19:54 EDT 2008

----- Original Message -----
Subject: <VV> more on camshaft

>   Just want to be able to race kids from light to light here in town...
>
>    Thanks Mark
************
Uh, please dont take this as blanket discouragement ... but I am having a
hard time thinking of any cars that a corvair might even keep in sight from
light to light ... unless your budget allows you to build grenade vair
engines .....  defined as " run sunday afternoon and build for a month "
....   note that over the last 5 years, most of the discussion of corvair
speed guys is the problems of keeping them together.... rather than how to
how to hop them up (g).

For your turbo car :: 30 lbs boost, water injection, and a lot of work on
gettting the exhaust out ...  low 5's shift point, your stock turbo cam is
fine ... bolt on a 2 inch SU carb, a tighter turbo side housing and be sure
you have your cell phone and a buddy with a car hauler.

........ or unless you can build a tube frame superlight .. say about 1400
lbs all up chassis ... which would be oh so cool ... this can be done, and
is  more  permanent ( cheaper over time ) than multiple  grenade engines ...
Addendum::  or  you could join the SCCA, and your local chapter, and run
Autocross ... for new guys, they will no doubt really appreciate you and
your vair; the vair likes to go left and right ..  ... and for new guys, the
rules are pretty free unless you start getting too fast .....

...... and I find that the SCCA guys know where all  the good back country
roads are also (g) ...
oh yeah, and all the good eat spots ...