<VV> Vairlike Vehicle

Dale Dewald dkdewald at pasty.net
Thu Mar 27 23:58:40 EDT 2008

Hello Folks,

At 21:10 3/26/2008 -0400, J R Read wrote:

>We keep seeing news footage of Hilary walking across the tarmac in Bosnia.
>There is a grey truck in the background which is somewhat reminiscent of a
>Rampside (actually more like a VW pickup of the '60s).  Any idea what it
>might be?  It is only on screen for about 1 second.

I have not seen this video, but from your description it is likely a
Russian-made UAZ 452D 4x4 FC truck. UAZ = Ulyanovsky Avtomobilny Zavod
which roughly translates to Ulyanovsky Automobile Factory.

The similar UAZ 452V is an 8 passenger FC van about the size of a
Greenbrier but built on a front engine 4x4 chassis.  These were introduced
in the late 1950's and it is reported that some versions are still in
production to this day.

We saw many of these neat FC's when we were in Siberia in October 2001 to
adopt our son. Some were well used but there were several that looked brand
new.   I could scan the few pictures we have if anyone is interested.  I
also have pictures of the Korean FC minivans that were used as private
taxis while we were there, built by Ssamyong (FWD 8-passenger) and Kia (RWD
8 passenger), both diesel powered.

Check out this web site:
http://www.jedsite.info/transport-uniform/uniform-uaz/452_series/452d/452d.html

Dale Dewald