<VV> John Fitch

Gary Swiatowy mopar at jbcs2.net
Fri Mar 28 06:25:32 EDT 2008

> From: Ed Dowds <ed_dowds at hotmail.com>
> Subject: <VV> John Fitch
>
> I found this on another car forum. I thought some here might be interested
> in a problem John Fitch is having.
>
> http://velocetoday.com/news/news_92.php
>
> Ed
What happened to John Fitch is sad.
But certainly not unusual.
A friend of mine bought a service station in 1972, I worked for him for 6
years, he still owns the place.
6 years ago they were widening the road and found contamination which was
traced to a fuel spill there from 1959.
Owner from then is long gone, and so is the company that owned the fuel
truck involved.
13 years  before he bought the place.
This spill was nowhere near where the underground tanks were.
In fact, when the underground tanks were removed they were inspected, the
holes they came out of were inspected, and everything was done according to
the book.
He was ordered to allow for the remediation and testing to be performed by
the DEC.
$300,000 was the bill. He doesn't have that kind of money.
The property is worth $150,000.
He is now 72, and still doing repair work out of the garage.
When he passes, or retires, he hands the keys over to the
DEC...........leaves with nothing from a lifes work.

And yes, there is Corvair content.
Back when I was there I owned my first Corvair, a 66 500.
People saw a Corvair parked there and assumed we were willing to work on
them.
I learned how to work on my Vair by working on customers cars.
Being young I didn't know how "hard" they were to work

I feel bad for John Fitch, but he is not the only one out there losing their
lifes work throughg no fault of their own.........
Gary Swiatowy