<VV> required prep before chroming

Jim Bannister jimster1 at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 28 18:03:58 EDT 2008

You might try this strategy with your plater.  Assuming that the plater
actually has plating tanks and is not just a middle man for somebody else.
A while back I wanted to rechrome the swiveling segment of a LM A\C dash
vent.  Mine was severely pitted.  The guy said it would cost a fortune if he
did all the work.  This is what we worked out.  He stripped the old plating
down to bare metal and then returned the part to me.  I did all the tedious
filing and buffing until the naked piece looked pretty good.  I then
returned it to the plater and he did the plating.  BTW, plating does not
fill imperfections.  If you want a totally pristine surface, you could
retrieve  your piece after the copper is applied and solder up any pin holes
and again buff to a hi shine.  Lastly return to the plater for the chrome.
You can also check out these guys for more info and DIY plating stuff:
http://www.caswellplating.com/powder/index.html

Jim