<VV> Barrett-jacksom sale of monza '69 'vert, 140/4spd, only 24, 000mi. Sold for $21K

Gary Rinehart doduckinn at centurytel.net
Sat Mar 29 13:23:23 EDT 2008

And why not?   Most drivable Corvair Owners have at least $20k invested in their car.   Yet I see example after example of cars selling/advertised for $10k or under.  The majority sell/advertise in the $5k to $6k category.  I don't understand the value system for "collecting" Corvairs. If you  have $20k invested in a restoration, depending on the car, you should have a reasonable expectation to recoup your financial efforts.

Over and over, I hear that Corvair Owners are "cheap" and proud of it.  It is no wonder that other Clubs with less engineered vehicles tend to look down at us.  I daresay that there are damn few of current Corvair Owners who would be forced out of the Corvair fraternity based on a upper readjustment of "PRICE".  If a "well maintained driver" suitable for "favorite status" from the fans at a show, has got to be worth $15k to $20k.

There should be a certain amount of pride in any endeavor, and is not lack of that emotion with Corvair Owners.  But equally important to the human emotion to something akin to snobbery.  We see it every time we go to a gathering of Packard's, Mustangs, Pontiacs, Corvettes, T-Birds, etc.

Everyone seems to be concerned of a decrease in Membership.  Has anyone considered these observations for the decline.   If your car has a fictitious value of a third or half of the cost to own it, where is the incentive???  There are many choices to the "Professional Collector". I doubt that membership in the Corvair Club qualifies.

I say congratulations to the JB sale.  It is about time for this value realization