<VV> Gasoline Smell - again

Mikeamauro at aol.com Mikeamauro at aol.com
Sun Mar 30 20:08:32 EDT 2008

"...I know that we have discussed this issue on more that one occasion,  but
I want to make sure that I am attempting to correct the real cause of the
problem...I am using a mechanical fuel pump, which does not appear to be
leaking. No apparent fuel drips in the engine compartment..."

Thanks for  your thoughts.

Joe White (62 sedan, 66 Porvair)
CORSA,  RMC

Jim... What a coincidence; my wife came in the door just last night, and,
for about the 5th time this year, exclaimed "I smell a real strong smell of
gasoline (in the cabin of her 64 Greenbrier)." Each time, and again this time,
the leak has been from the fuel pump. Specifically, leaking from between the
sections where the  fabric reinforced rubber diaphragms separate the  metal
body parts of the pump. If installed correctly, there are rarely  leaks from the
fittings. I've installed at least three new pumps, and this last  time I
disassembled and added thread inserts into the bottom section of the pump  body in
order to allow "extra-special" tightening of the screws... this one I
tightened on several occasions; leak stopped for several weeks, but kept coming
back. Today I installed a new spare pump purchased form a  Corvair vendor; got
about an hour from the house and the new pump quit  delivering altogether.
Performed road side replacement... installed a new  (my last spare), NAPA
Federal-Mogul pump; we'll see how this one works out.  The condensed version: Corvair
mechanical pumps have a tendency to  leak; I find using a flashlight--even in
the day time--aimed at the back of  the pump is the best way to see a leak. Best
time to check is after a drive  of at least 30-minutes, and IMMEDIATELY after
shutting off the engine.  Also look at the carb inlet fittings; not so much
the 7/16 flare fittings, but  the big nut (with fiber or copper washer) that
screws into the carb, and retains  the copper sintered carb filter "stone."

Please let everyone know the eventual fix. Thank you.

God bless our Corvairs...

Mike Mauro
Of 64 110 Greenbrier and other Corvairs

Home.