<VV> FW: A CORSA Chapter near you

Cliff tibbitts at qx.net
Mon Mar 31 13:56:36 EDT 2008

Ned,

It might be a good idea if we tell them why Gary put together the map.

Over on the Corvair Center Forum, several of us have been discussing the
possibility of a Corvair Caravan, four actually, to the 2010 CORSA
convention in Iowa.  Here is a summary of the thinking behind it.  We are
approaching the 50th anniversary of the introduction of the Corvair.

In theory, to coincide with the actual introduction in the fall of 59, it
would make more sense to do this in 09 at Jacksonville.  However there are
several good reasons to do it in 2010.

	1. Similar to the 50th anniversary of the vette, which was held in
summer of 03, the 2010 convention would make sense as the model year was 60.
	2. Secondly, with Iowa being about as close to the geographical
center of the US as possible, we could have 4 caravans starting in Florida,
Maine, California and Oregon.  (open to suggestions)
	3. This allows us two years and two national conventions to find
support, sponsors and tackle some of the huge logistical problems, and
hopefully garner support from the local chapters.  (hence the reason for
Gary's map)
	4. Finally, it gives me two more years to finish my car.  LOL

Remember this is all just pie in the sky stuff for now. Locations could
change.  Each caravan's route would be designed to make it as easy as
possible for local chapters along the way to join in.  There would be
designated stops along the way so that others could join up without racing
up and down the interstate all day looking for a bunch of Corvairs.

Roughly speaking, about 200 Corvairs show up at every convention, sometimes
more, sometimes less depending on location.  I don't count anywhere near 200
trailers in the lot, so this tells me that many if not most of these cars
are driven to the convention.  So it is logical to assume that many Corvairs
will be driven to Iowa anyway.  All we are trying to do is capitalize on
this and hopefully generate some headlines for the little car.  I hope we
can get some national support for this idea.

Flame suit on, let the flames begin.

Cliff Tibbitts
Lexington, KY