<VV> Ethanol watchout

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Thu May 1 00:02:09 EDT 2008

>What material is used for modern day underground tanks at gas stations?  Is
>it not fiberglass?  Or some material quite similar.

Glass fibers are relatively inert, but the resin used to mold the fibers
into shape can be subject to chemical erosion, so you want to be careful
about descriptions of fiberglass reinforced plastic (FRP).  I belive
most underground fuel tanks use fiberglass roving and epoxy resin, and
thus are about as inert as one can expect.  Typically boat builders use
chopped glass fibers and polyester resin, sometimes with additive
fillers.  The old Super Premium 110 octane motor fuel of the late
sixties, early seventies  (various suppliers) used to eat through a
glass motor bike tank in about a year.

Kevlar and carbon fiber are more commonly used as reinforcment where
weight (or "appearence") is crucial to the design or sales -- glass is
relatively heavy.

Bill Strickland