<VV> positraction additive -yes or no

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Thu May 1 13:29:06 EDT 2008

In a message dated 5/1/2008 10:11:06 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
dfamily at fairpoint.net writes:

I am  draining the differential and transmission
on my son's 65 140 hp, 4 speed  , positraction
Monza.  (I installed drain plugs about 10 years  ago).
What is the latest thinking on using  a positraction additive?  Is it
recommended or not.

Dennis - Be very careful about using advice in this case. Remember that the
Corvair manual transaxles share a common lube with the differential. As far as
I  remember, no other car uses a plate type limited-slip differential in
common  with the transmission. Corvair guys know this, and will take it into
consideration. For example, if you ask Amsoil or Redline Oil for a  recommendation
on a GM "Posi" additive, they might not know about the  commonality. In the
past, I have heard of certain "slippery"  synthetic additives which make the
gears in the differential last longer.  If added to the manual transmission, the
additive makes the Synchronizers (which  rely on the friction of engagement)
non-functional, causing grinding during  gear shifts - every time!  -Seth
Emerson

PS, If I had some of the posi additive,  I would use it.

listings at AOL Autos.