<VV> Hydraulic/Mechanical Re: Corvair Research

FrankCB at aol.com FrankCB at aol.com
Fri May 2 10:56:34 EDT 2008

Ned,
    That reminds me that the first car I ever owned, a  1951 Hudson Hornet,
had hydraulic brakes, but with a mechanical brake  backup.  If the hydraulics
failed (only a single master cylinder) you  simply pushed down farther on the
brake pedal to engage the mechanical brakes on  the rear wheels.  So it wasn't
necessary to reach for a SEPARATE  emergency brake pedal or lever.  At the
time I thought it was an excellent  idea and I STILL think so.  I'm still
surprised that, as far as I  know, nobody besides Hudson used it,
    Regards,
    Frank Burkhard

In a message dated 5/1/2008 7:44:40 PM Eastern Daylight Time,