<VV> E-COMMUNIQUE' KUDOS & MEMBERSHIP

Rod Murray rmurray at anaheimducks.com
Fri May 2 17:31:09 EDT 2008

Just had a chance to look over the e-version of the communique' and want
to say "great job" to the web folks and newsletter editors for making
this happen.  I think it's absolutely terrific, and, in fact, overdue.
Getting outside the "obvious box", here's a couple of added thoughts on
this, some of them echo'ing others...

- the color photos in the online issue really stand out.  What a
difference!  I won't be surprised if you start seeing vendors re-submit
their original bw ads in color as well as getting requests to create
hyperlinks from these ads to their respective websites - same with the
classified ads.  Both ideas make an increase in potential ad revenue
feasible - especially when you consider the extended worldwide reach
well beyond existing members only (more below).

- for some folks, the e-version may take over as their primary
communique' read, while for others it might serve only as a time-buy til
the print version arrives in the mail.  The fact that it's available to
all at the same time makes it work either way.  With our Vintage Corsa
newsletter available on-line, we've offered our members the option to
discontinue the print version - some have, some haven't, but every
member that declines the hard copy saves us whatever printing and
postage costs we would otherwise incur.  The initial savings may seem
small, but everything adds up.

- I love getting the communique' in the mail, but I also understand all
the cost and "thrill" issues that have been getting the snot pounded out
of them on VV.  Still, for me, if a printout of the e-version was made
easy, I would consider discontinuing my hard copy to help the greater
cause.  I would even go so far as to say that eventually, yes, once the
on-line version is firmly established, members opting to continue
receiving a hard copy in the mail WILL need to pay an additional fee.
That said, i have to agree that printing this particular e-version is a
bit of a challenge - maybe it's because I'm not familiar with this
program, but also wondering if a more universal and easier-to-print .pdf
format might be worth a look - .pdf might not offer the fancy "page
turn" effect, but I'm willing to make that tradeoff.

- the internet has far-reaching world-wide power well beyond any print.
As a means to spread the word to both current and potential new members,
I second every effort to create a full-access "communique' library" for
all e-issues, while supporting the idea of restricting access to the
"current issue" to CORSA members for "a limited time" as a perk of
membership - 2 weeks is enough for me...

- lastly, I also endorse the idea of a universal "join the local, join
the national" (or vice versa) concept and agree that CORSA needs to dive
into the deep end of the pool and just do whatever it takes to make the
financial numbers work.  We'll lose a few, we'll gain a few, but this
pussy-footing around to accommodate an outdated mindset isn't helping
anybody.  A joint fee makes the process clear and easy for everyone, and
quite honestly, for new members in particular, creates a "2 for 1" deal
that sounds pretty inviting.  The strategy needs to be sold that way.

btw, we had 4 new members and 2 "kick the tires" folks at last night's
monthly meeting - all engaged by a) the website & on-line newsletter, b)
the recent plug we got in the local paper provided by our move to a
better meeting location, and c) a couple of weekend "non-corvair only"
car shows that were targeted group outings for our members.
Interestingly, our overall attendance was DOWN last night to ONLY 10-12
corvairs and maybe 35ish attendees.  I can't remember the last time I
was disappointed at ONLY seeing 10 cars at one of our meetings.
PROMOTION WORKS FOLKS!

My 2 cents...Vairy best,

Rod
Promotions, Web, and Newsletter
Vintage Corsa "Orange County's Official Corvair Club"
www.VintageCorsa.com