<VV> Oil pressure & Temp gauges

Dave Thompson dave.thompson at verizon.net
Sat May 3 16:08:42 EDT 2008

OK,

>From the responses that I got, I need an oil pressure gauge from 0 to 80 lbs
(lower top end if I can find one, like about 60). The acceptable pressure
range for general driving is 25 to 35 lbs.

Now, I have a spyder so I have a CHT gauge. In aviation circles, if I had to
make a choice, I should use a CHT over oil temp due to the fact that CHT
changes quicker than oil temp.  However I suspect that it may be different
on an auto application due to the fact that the RPM and engine load is
constantly changing where an aircraft tends to hold the same RPM for long
periods of time. More like a car on the freeway. I also "think" that the
turbo will heat up the oil faster than CHT will show an increase. Am I
thinking correctly?

So, if I add an oil pressure gauge, should I also add oil temp or will the
existing CHT give me enough indication of overheating? If I add both, I plan
to use the Westach dual pressure/temp gauge in a pod under the dash between
the radio and the heater controls. Bracketry will be interesting but I don't
see any REAL problems. I can't mount it under the radio as I have a under
dash stereo 8-track player there.

What oil temps are considered typical? I will get a gauge that keeps that
range about the middle of the scale.

All comments are welcome.

Dave Thompson