<VV> 4 speed adjustment questions

Ed Orbea ed.orbea at gmail.com
Sat May 3 22:06:43 EDT 2008

I have a 62 Corvair Monza (model 900) with a 4-speed transmission and a
64 replacement engine. I have been experiencing some problems shifting
into reverse. I ordered and installed some replacement parts (boots,
coupler, etc) from a recommended vendor and installed them as documented
in the 62 Corvair shop manual and Assembly manual. According to the
manuals, the only guidance is to basically place the shifter in reverse,
disconnect the control rod and adjust the slack.

I am able to shift into 1st through 4th, but unable to shift into
reverse. I am thinking that the shifter rod and or shifter housing might
have excessive wear, but I don't want to tears things down that much,
unless I need to

What I am looking for is either some real-world guidance or a better
source or documentation, so that I can properly adjust the linkage, and
then determine if I would also need to replace the control rod and/or
housing.

I have searched through the Virtual Vairs message archive as well as
additional web sources, but have been unable to find any additional
information.

Thanks