<VV> CNG Conversion

Steve Oxford seoxford at att.net
Sun May 4 09:06:53 EDT 2008

Blaine - As someone who has been in the CNG for vehicles business, let me very clearly
state that CNG is not a good fuel choice for a Corvair.  Propane would be questionable, but
definitely a better choice for a gaseous fuel than CNG.  The big problem with CNG in a
Corvair is that there is no practical place to mount the storage cylinders other than
in the trunk, and there is not enough room in the trunk for more than about 5 gallons
gasoline equivalent of natural gas.  Additionally, nobody makes a carb or air intake adaptor
that will fit without significant modification, so you would have to to fabricate one
yourself.  Given the cost of components and the lack of return, it just doesn't make economic
sense to try such a conversion./Steve Oxford
Got tax returns, seriously considering converting the '64 convertible to run on
CNG  (Compressed Natural Gas).

Has anyone on the list ever converted their Corvair to run on CNG?  If so, I
would appreciate recommendations for conversion kit(s), as well as any
hints/tips/gotchas to be aware of.

Thanks,
-B