<VV> Fuel pressure and other fuel hiccups

cfm cfmann at yahoo.com
Sun May 4 16:35:03 EDT 2008

Got back from AutoZone with my new universal electric fuel pump, and ironically, its the nearly the same as the one that came with this car. One difference, however, is the fuel pressure rating. The old one coming off the car states 2.5-4.4 psi and the new one states 5.5-9.5 psi.

So I don't know, if one does go electric, and gas is being delivered in good supply,  it is hard to word this, like how does the pump know when to back off or too lay in more gas? It seems like once its on, its on?
So, being naive and ignorant, I went ahead with it, this one is l-o-u-d compared to the other one, like someone is knocking a door down :-).

I have gas coming out of the right carb pretty heavily during the "priming" phase. The left carb seems normal. Should I suspect something internal in the right carb is acting up, or something blocked in the left or shall I assume the new electric pump psi is too much for the Corvair? Do I need to located a lower psi model?

Chris "the fuel pest" Mann
69 monza vert #0425 110/pg lemans blue (but is red) black int, white top (wish it were blue) (wish it would run :-) ha. )