<VV> Oil Gallery Tap

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Sun May 4 18:17:44 EDT 2008

>Wasn't that only on the 1960's? and used for an oil TEMP probe? IIRC!

Actually, most Cavecars had both an oil temp sender AND an oil pressure
sender on the side of the block below the dipstick port.  Both bosses
survived for a while in those locations, although the senders got moved
to more friendly environs (oil pressure) and to more critically
important locations (cyl head).

The later universal replacement blocks retained these bosses as well as
that for the FC dipstick tube, afaik.

I think the prefered alternate oil temp sender location is on the back
(toward the rear) of the rear housing (has the oil pump in it) -- some
reference material should have a better description of that location, I
don't have time to look for it right now.

Any oil galley can be tapped for oil pressure -- use your bare block to
locate these possible sights -- remember, the1960 location revealed that
the senders did not like the heat and leaked rather badly.  Or, be like
a Fiero and pipe the oil to the sender and discover that the vibration
will tend to crack the pipe.

Bill Strickland