<VV> CORSA's Future. long and opiniated

Dave Thompson dave.thompson at verizon.net
Mon May 5 13:00:00 EDT 2008

[SNIP]
PS:  If we're really feeling radical, we could always join forces with the
Corvair airplane crowd.  Despite the fact that these guys are trusting their
lives to misused 40 year old engines, there are some pretty interesting
folks out there.  We should at least invite them to fly in to our
conventions.

Roger
[SNIP]

I've just got to chime in on this one!
I WAS part of the Corvair flight engine crowd for several years. I realized
that I didn't have the finances to build a plane so I purchased my Spyder
and that's what brought me here. Because I wasn't building, I spent
many-a-night studying about our great engine. I went to several aviation
events and even traveled from California to Florida to meet "The Corvair
Authority" William Wynne (Flycorvair.com). He is the recognized leader in
the Corvair flight engine movement, extremely knowledgeable and an all
around nice guy (he's also a Corsa member and so are some of his crew). He
drives a corsa. I believe it's a '65. Several years ago I went to a "Corvair
College" where he taught us about building engines for flight. The local
Corvair car club was invited and several cars showed up. We all had a great
time admiring each other's machines. I know of many aviators that use our
engine to turn a propeller that loved the engine enough to purchase a car
too.

I think that if we contact the flyboys and invite them to some of our
events, we could find some great new friends and possibly gain some new
members. At the very least, we could admire each other's "Babies".

I know that some of you think that they are "taking away our engines". In
actuality, I'd bet (I don't know) what they take out of the "Stock" is less
than what junk yards destroy. Not only that, there are some real brilliant
people working on them and building new parts. For instance, they are
testing new aluminum cylinders. If these new parts become sanctioned for
flight, No question they will be good enough for our cars. Perhaps, some of
their R&D can trickle down to us car guys.

Just my opinion...flame on...

Dave Thompson
63 Convertible Spyder
65 110 engine half-modified for flight