<VV> To gauge oil pressure or not

FrankCB at aol.com FrankCB at aol.com
Mon May 5 16:45:01 EDT 2008

In a message dated 5/4/2008 9:55:46 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
corvairduval at cox.net writes:

The  average person ( and that is not anyone here!!!) driving has no clue
what  oil pressure is proper, so lights are much better for warning them.
Now,  if we could just get the average driver to realize the RED light
warning  means STOP and not "I'll ask what it means at the next service
appointment" !

Frank DuVal

Frank,
    I think this attitude (that you so corrrectly point  out) is the real
reason why so many Corvairs got the early reputation as "oil  leakers".
    The real purpose of having gauges is to  point out a problem that is
starting to develop BEFORE it causes a major  failure.  That's why a temp gauge is
so important in a Corvair.  And  that's why most of my Monza Corvairs had CHT
gauges.  And that's how I  could drive home one time with only 3 cylinders
functioning.  And another  time I could drive home 7 miles with no functioning
fan (separated harmonic  balancer).  In each case the CHT gauge "told me" when
to stop and cool off  the engine before proceeding.  In both cases the engine
survived just fine  for many more years.  (Of course the synthetic oil and
Viton O-rings helped  too.<GGG>)
    Regards,
    Frank "the other one"  Burkhard

favorites at AOL Food.