<VV> Oil Filters over the counter

henry kaczmarek kaczmarek at charter.net
Wed May 7 13:04:05 EDT 2008

All
A discussion on Oil Filters can last for months.

Purolator is the filter of choice at Retard Auto Parts for one reason
only --THE PRICE.

Since an oil filter is the kidney of your oil system, do you want the
cheapest you can get? I don't even think the average "frugal" Corvair guy
wants a "cheap" filter on their car.  Of course we won't get into a good
filter for a cheap price, there's only 7 months left this year!

My personal preference for the Corvair is a Wix, since K&N doesn't make one
for the stock Corvair setup. Wix made the PF4 for GM until 2004. The Napa
Gold corvair filter is the PF4 without the blue paint and GM logo.

 If you use a spin on adapter, I'd highly recommend a K&N.

WHY?
I've had opportunity to open used oil filters and see what they look like
after 3000 miles.  I've opened LOTS of them.

I've not used any of the Clark's brand filters yet.  As I expected, my
inquiry to clarks' as to their manufacturer and  composition of the filter
was met with a refusal as to any information at all.

I wasn't trying to bypass Clark's, just to get an idea of the quality of the
filter paper, the amount used, and the configuration of same.   Anybody cut
one of theirs open yet and compared it to Purolaor, Fram, Wix etc?

Don't take my word for it, most of you have a die grinder and cutting
wheels---open up some used ones of various brands and make your own
decision.   What you find will definitely surprise you!!

BTW, the purolator filter did have some problems at one point a few years
back, no idea if they fixed it. My motor means too much to me to put
anything but a wix on it.

Hank