<VV> Unintended acceleration

Thesuperscribe at cs.com Thesuperscribe at cs.com
Wed May 7 23:31:35 EDT 2008

When that Audi incident came to light I scoffed at the poor gal, too. How
could a car take off on its own? I saw her on 60 Minutes(?) and she said she knew
the difference between the brake and accelerator pedals and swore she had her
foot on the brake. I think she believed that, but I figured she had just made
a tragic mistake that killed her little boy.

Then, a few years alater, I was driving a rental car (a Taurus) which
suddenly began accelerating on its own. I was doing about about 55 on a two-lane
highway in CC and the car began accelerating to 60, 65... I punched the Off button
several times and it had no effect. There was no traffic ahead of me  so I
wasn't in big trouble, and when I touched the brake pedal the CC disconnected
and all was well. It didn't happen again with that car.

Later, on two or three different cars (all Fords, I think), it happened
again. One was in town, at a boulevard speed, and it happened twice with that car.
I therefore have concluded that such things ARE possible, whether or not it
truly happened to that gal.

Of course, we don't have such problems with our 'Vairs, ha ha.

--Tom in Ohio

***

In a message dated 5/7/2008 10:07:33 PM Eastern Daylight Time,