<VV> Repairing a failed crankcase stud thread repair

Craig Nicol nicolcs at aol.com
Fri May 9 02:08:42 EDT 2008

Doug asked:
I need some advice on a crankcase stud problem. The engine I'm working on
has 2 pulled out upper head studs. One is an original stud, not previously
repaired, which I planned to fix with a long Time-Sert.

  The other is the # 5 Exhaust upper head stud. Some miscreant apparently
repaired this one with a short (7/16 long) helicoil, which has pulled
completely out of the block. From what I have read it looks like a 0.75 long
Big-Sert is the best fix for this.

  Is that right? And where can I obtain the part and tool (preferably
rental).

Craig replies:
Larry Claypool has just made a run of oversized inserts and has them
available for purchase.  We ran an article about installation of regular and
oversized studs in the Communique a couple of months ago. Did you happen to
see it?
Craig Nicol

Checked by AVG.
5:23 PM