<VV> Was Unintended Acceleration (no Corvair)

kenpepke at juno.com kenpepke at juno.com
Fri May 9 13:37:28 EDT 2008

First it is necessary to press on the brake pedal ... 50 MPH using the
cruise control on the I-94 expressway in moderately heavy traffic and
driving a new 1975 455 cu in Buick my wife was completely taken off
guard when the throttle suddenly went to the floor ... kicked into passing
gear and was to 70 MPH before she could get to the brake pedal.  She
had to make a quick and very lucky lane change to avoid the car in front
of her.  The instant her foot hit the brake the big Buick decelerated.  I was
really glad she did not react in the manner women drivers are reputed
to use.  In the next 180,000 miles it never happened again.
Ken P

PS.
It was this car, several months later and during a trip to Florida that, at
70 MPH the left rear radial tire blew to smithereens, ripped off the fender
skirt and sent us sliding from the left lane to the right shoulder and back
again.  We ended up in the median with no rubber left on the wheel at
all.  My wife was driving at that time also and she was steering into the
skid, pumping the brakes and making all the right moves.  Unfortunately
she was mostly along for the ride ... Fortunately there were no bridges
at that point and all the other traffic stopped.
KP