<VV> Oil pressure light

Matt Nall patiomatt at aol.com
Fri May 9 23:28:34 EDT 2008

You are joking? right? Read your owners manual!!!

I cannot remember ever having to explain the light in 9 yrs. here...

so, if you are serious..

TEMP / PRESS light comes on IF

PRESS oil pressure is below 5-7 psi [ common on a HOT engine with THIN
oil and at idle] but as long as it goes OFF as soon as the engine is
rev'd.. you're fine!

You still have some oil pressure..but quickly the lifters will start
clacking...if not rev'd up..

IF it stays on in Neutral, with engine held at 2000 rpm [ approx. ] and
doesn't go off after a few minutes....then the TEMP function is warning
you that the HEADS are too hot...

IF the Fanbelt had come off then the ALT/GEN light should illuminate....

To determine if your engine really is TOO HOT grab the Oil Dipstick
...to hot to hold onto? it's OVERHEATED.

Our cars are 40 years old... the TEMP switch triggers at a lower temp
as it ages...until it will come on and stay on.

To TEST which one is causing the Light:

open engine lid.... look for Fuel pump in center rear...look so
left...WIRE!! pull this off and go look at light.... thisis the Oil
Pressure Switch

I hope this does help someone!

Matt Nall
Webspace: http://members.aol.com/patiomatt