<VV> unintended

djtcz at comcast.net djtcz at comcast.net
Sat May 10 12:03:36 EDT 2008

snipped and bottom posted

When that Audi incident came to light I scoffed at the poor gal, too. How
could a car take off on its own? I saw her on 60 Minutes(?) and she said she
knew
the difference between the brake and accelerator pedals and swore she had her
foot on the brake. I think she believed that, but I figured she had just made
a tragic mistake that killed her little boy.

I seem to recall either Road and Track or Car and Driver mentioned that initially that most unfortunate Audi driver first said she hit the gas and killed her child, but then her recollection changed to having been hard on the brake.
I don't doubt that the trauma of the event by itself might be enough to induce a little defense mechanism rationalization even on an unconscous level.  I suspect and even expect I will snap like a carrot if somebody hurts my kids. Mighty complex if that somebody is me.

Dan Timberlake
Westford, Massachusetts, USA