<VV> Oil Filters & gpm (Gallons per minute)

BBRT chsadek at comcast.net
Sun May 11 10:20:00 EDT 2008

Happy Mothers Day!

I have been looking into gpm oil requirements for a Corvair engine.  I came across comments touting Pure Power Oil Filter.  Basically two points I offer up for opinions by our esteemed readers...

First, the claim that most oil filters trap debris by oil flowing across oil filter paper, not thru it.  "Most "throw away" filters flow oil at 7-9 gpm and is known in the industry as a "nominal extraction" filter. In a "throw away" filter the oil DOES NOT go THROUGH the paper filter --it is designed to run the oil BY the paper element. Small (NOMINAL) amounts of debris are then "snagged" or settle in the valley of the pleats. In most paper filters the Bypass opens up shortly after engine startup.

Is the above statement true?

Secondly, some oil filters allow 7-9 gpm flow while the Pure Power claims 20 gpm, thereby implying less resistance to oil flow and therefore less HP required to run oil pump.  "When the resistance is reduced, as with the Pure Power! Oil Filter, the oil pressure and horsepower INCREASES. This is can be compared to installing a more efficient set of headers or exhaust system. The filter does not "make" horsepower, it "FREES" horsepower that is being wasted trying to force oil through and obstruction ("throwaway filter" or bypass"). There have been many dyno tests done around the world all with similar results. We do our testing at Southwest Research Institute (SwRI) which is the premier testing laboratory for automotive products and is used by O.E.M.s and the U.S. Govt. http://www.swri.org/3PUBS/BROCHURE/D08/OILFILT/oilfilt.HTM "

What do y'all think about this?

For the articles in question, go to this link.

http://www.epinions.com/content_5153071236

Chuck S
BBRT