<VV> Got my kicks on Route 66

AeroNed at aol.com AeroNed at aol.com
Sun May 11 10:26:58 EDT 2008

Yesterday was a long, great  Corvair day.
It started around 8:30 when I  met up with Terry Kalp at our club meeting
site about 10 miles south of Wichita.  Terry was driving his beautiful vanilla 65
'vert. I was driving his gold 65  sedan (my old car) with my wife and
youngest daughter, Shannon.
We started out heading south to  Oklahoma. After 2 hours of Interstate
cruising at 65-75 MPH we arrived at Pops  on the mother road. This is a very unique
gas station/diner/convenience store.  They have many, many different/odd
brands/flavors of soda (or pop). We met up  with members from the OKC club and even
a couple members from Wichita. After a  little shopping, it was time to
continue our cruise down Route 66.
The road is in very good  condition. Many sections had new pavement (paved by
Speed McQueen?). It had  twists and elevation changes that are not common in
Kansas. The Corvair caravan  looked perfect on that road. There were great
sites from the road, invoking  thoughts of what it must have been in its heyday.
Our destination was The Rock  Cafe in Stroud where we met up with a group
from the Tulsa club. They drove west  to meet the east bound group. The Rock Cafe
is another Route 66 landmark. There  were many references to the Cars movie
(one of my favorites). We learned that  the makers of the movie spent several
days in Stroud, researching the movie.  There were drawings from the animators,
Woody, Buzz and M. Gabowiski, hanging  around, many on napkins. We also
learned that the Rock Cafe owner was the  inspiration for "Sally" and Stroud was
"Radiator Springs". After eating a good  meal, visiting and shopping it was time
to head home.
We drove 3 hours on the  Interstate to get back to Wichita. Our cars drove
great, no problems, despite  the 50 MPH cross wind. We had to hurry because we
needed to get to our monthly  club meeting. See, I'm the person that gets the
keys to the community center  where we meet. We made it with time to spare. We
shared the story of our  adventure. Shannon participated in telling the club
how cool it was to cruise  down the trip down the mother road, and she's 10.
Anyhow, I can't express how  grateful I am to Terry for lending me my old
car. I was happy and sad to drive  the car again.
Ned

favorites at AOL Food.