<VV> Why Re: Bulbs burn out quickly?

FrankCB at aol.com FrankCB at aol.com
Sun May 11 17:16:29 EDT 2008

Matt and Frank,
    You're BOTH correct.  <GGG> The  resistance of the filament in the bulb
is not constant, but is LOWEST at ambient  temp. and increases as the bulb
warms up.  So even with a constant  feed voltage, the inrush of current into a
cold bulb is greater than through the  same bulb after it heats up to
incandescence temp.  That's why these bulbs,  whether in cars or in homes, tend to burn
out when first turned on rather than  after they've been on for a time.
    Frank "sees both sides" Burkhard

In a message dated 5/11/2008 3:54:06 PM Eastern Daylight Time,