<VV> Bulbs burn out quickly?

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Sun May 11 18:14:46 EDT 2008

No, the feed is still just a nominal 12 volts (nominal because it
actually varies between 12 and 14 volts as battery condition/charging
system). You can put any 12 volt bulb directly across the battery and it
will burn just fine, not burn out. The current is determined by the
resistance of the bulb, not resistance of the wiring. The resistance of
the wiring should be close to zero.

Now if you get the 1157 bulb in 180° wrong, the dim filament will be
tied into the turn signal flasher, and this lower operating current will
cause the flasher to not act correctly. But the bulb will be fine even
if the flashing spped is wrong. The bright filament will be on with the
taillamps, and it will also be happy. Those following you will not, as
it will seem your have your foot on the brake all the time.

Frank