<VV> Bulbs burn out quickly?

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Sun May 11 18:23:19 EDT 2008

Oh give me a break. Yes, tungsten filaments are near zero resistance
when cold, so the inrush current is high. But the voltage is always a
nominal 12 volts, so the inrush current is always the same when you turn
the bulb on. How is miswiring on a Corvair going to get more voltage to
the bulb? Tie it to the ignition coil? Even then the bulb will not fail
because the low initial resistance of the bulb will limit the high
voltage output of the coil.

So I repeat, how can you get more inrush current through the bulb? You
can tie the bulb directly to the battery and the inrush will be in spec
with how it was manufactured. Inrush still follows Ohm's law  I=E/R.

Frank DuVal