<VV> Oil Filters & gpm (Gallons per minute)

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Sun May 11 18:44:34 EDT 2008

Chuck,

Engine oil pressure is created by limiting the flow of the positive
displacement pump by the small passages of the bearings, not the oil
filter. The pressure regulator valve is there to limit the maximum
pressure that can be in the system, not set a minimum pressure. Have a
bearing fail, and the oil pressure will drop like a rock, the oil filter
will not keep the pressure up (unless it is clogged). So there should be
no HP gain with a high flow oil filter, as the bearings are still the
limiting factor of flow.

And no, every oil  (and other) filter I have seen filters by passing the
flow through the paper media, not along it.

Back to the research lab with you too!

Frank DuVal

Lets see, plumbing is like electricity, Pressure=voltage....  P=F*R
Pressure= Flow times resistance of the pipe.