<VV> LED 1157- R tail lights

jvhroberts at aol.com jvhroberts at aol.com
Mon May 12 12:46:36 EDT 2008

For taillight applications, they should be red, that's the most efficient way to make red light come through the red lens. And the same thing goes for amber for the front lights.

And to correct the previous poster's statement, 99+% of all white LEDS are NOT multiple LEDs of different colors. They are blue LEDs coated with a phoshor that emits in the orange through yellow green part of the spectrum, and when this light mixes with the blue, you get white.

The REAL issue with using LED bulb replacements is getting the LEDs oriented properly to shine out through the lens, especially when the LEDs aren't aimed straight at the lens. The optics of our taillights are for an omnidirectional light source, not the directed light that comes off of most LED replacements.