<VV> 1157 bulbs

tony.underwood at cox.net tony.underwood at cox.net
Mon May 12 12:47:24 EDT 2008

>At 10:46 AM 5/12/2008, Mark Corbin wrote:
>Odd, because I have LED conversion bulbs for several of my MagLite
flashlights, and they all show white light from each LED (three on some
sizes of flashlights). I've even seen amber LED's, on semi-truck trailers.
I conclude that LED's don't have to be red.

High intensity LEDs are available in white, yellow, red, blue, and green.    These are prime emission colors, no filters used.

I use LEDs like this often in my work.    By the way, the bare LEDs are available from Allied Electronics, white-lite variants are about 3 bucks and some-odd change each, depending on the amount of light you want, cheaper in bulk.

Blue variants are rather expensive and not quite as intense as the white and red variants.    Some of the "hotter" white variants are so bright they will leave you seeing spots.

By the way:   If tech continues to progress at this rate with LED developments, we'll soon be seeing solid-state headlights, not to mention interior lighting that will replace the florescent versions that have been "mandated" to take the place of incandescent bulbs in the near future, with the LED variants being more energy efficient than even those toxic florescent bulbs that often do NOT last as long as the "experts" seem to claim.

The LED tail lights currently installed in new vehicles will likely end up in configurations that will replace standard bulbs via plug-in retro-fittings as time passes.

tony..